Postdoctoral Researcher California Institute of Technology and Jet Propulsion Laboratory 1200 E. California Blvd. MC 131-24 Pasadena, CA 91125 Office: 233 Linde+Robinson
Current position Post-doctoral fellow, California Institute of Technology Advisors – Professor Tapio Schneider and Dr Joao Teixeira (JPL-NASA) Start date: Dec. 1st 2016
PhD thesis: Linear instability of synoptic scale eddies in a two-layer shallow water model PhD degree received on March 16st 2016.
2005: B.Sc. – Atmospheric Sciences and Environmental Studies, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Jerusalem – Israel
2009: M.Sc. – Atmospheric Sciences, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Jerusalem – Israel
2016: PhD – Atmospheric Sciences, the Hebrew University of Jerusalem; Jerusalem – Israel
Research and Academic Experience
2008: Laboratory experiments of the trapped low frequency waves in a large of turntable over topography (LEGI-Grenoble).
2009: Laboratory experiments for low frequency waves over a continental slope with a dynamic shoreline (LEGI-Grenoble).
2008-2013: A teaching assistant at HUJI and IUI in the following courses: Introduction to Climate, Thermodynamics of the Atmosphere, Dynamical Meteorology and Physical Oceanography.
1. Cohen, Y. Paldor, N. and Sommeria, J. (2010) Laboratory experiments and a consistent theory for Topographic Rossby waves over a linearly sloping bottom on the f-plane. J. Fluid Mech., 645, 479-496.
2. Cohen, Y., N. Paldor and J. Sommeria (2012) Application of laboratory experiments to assess the error introduced by the imposition of “wall” boundary conditions in shelf models. Ocean. Model., 41, 35-41.
3. Cohen Y, Dvorkin Y, and Paldor N. (2015) Linear instability of warm core, constant potential vorticity, eddies in a two layer ocean. Q. J. Roy. Meteo. Soc., 141, 1884-1893, doi: 10.1002/qj.2493.
4. Cohen Y, Dvorkin Y, and Paldor N. (2015) Linear instability of constant PV cold-core eddies in a two layer ocean. Q. J. Roy. Meteo. Soc., 141, 2886-2897, doi: 10.1002/qj.2575.
5. Cohen, Y., Dvorkin, Y. and Paldor, N. (2016) On the stability of outcropping eddies in a constant PV ocean, Q. J. Roy. Meteo. Soc., 142, 1920-1928. doi:10.1002/qj.2785.
6. Cohen, Y., Harnik, N., Heifetz, E., Nolan, D., S., Tao, D. and Zhang F. (2017) On the violation of gradient wind balance at the top of Tropical Cyclone. Geophys. Res. Lett., DOI: 10.1002/2017GL074552.
7. Tan, Z., C. M. Kaul, K. G. Pressel, Y. Cohen, T. Schneider, and J. Teixeira. (2017) An extended eddy-diffusivity mass-flux scheme for unified representation of subgrid-scale turbulence and convection. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, reviewed.
Research Grants, Prizes and Fellowships:
2008: HydraLab III 6th EC Framework Program Integrated Infrastructure Initiative
2010: Aron and Sara Mintz Prize of the Atmospheric Sciences Department of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
2012: Eshkol foundation full PhD fellowship, administered by the Israel Ministry Of Science and Technology (MOST)